- Who is the client?
- Derby Cycle is the largest bicycle manufacturer in Germany in terms of sales, a leading manufacturer of e-bikes, and producer of many well-known premium bike brands including Kalkhoff, Focus, Raleigh, Univega, Rixe and Cervélo.
- Two successive facilities delivered by Verdion’s winning formula
- In 2015, Derby Cycle needed a new distribution warehouse for its bicycles. Verdion was selected and we built and handed over the 25,381 sq m logistics facility where Derby Cycle now stores around 150,000 bikes for distribution around Europe. At Verdion we pride ourselves on thinking ahead to anticipate our occupiers’ needs. From land to equipment, and finance to infrastructure, we make real estate work harder for their businesses. In the case of Derby Cycle, we secured an option on adjacent land on Emstek’s ecopark, ready for a potential extension. The successful performance of the first project, our track record in delivering other specialist manufacturing complexes, and our foresight in securing the additional land made us the obvious choice to build the company a second facility to meet the requirements of their complex production process when the need arose.
- How is Verdion adding value?
- From manufacture to test-drive, all in one place With our funding partner, the Healthcare of Ontario Pension Plan (HOOPP), we’re delivering a new 32,230 sq m facility on this 63,000 sq m plot adjacent to the first logistics warehouse. Set to open its doors in 2022, the unit will provide 26,500 sq m of state-of-the-art production and storage facilities, 5,730 sq m of inspiring office and communal accommodation, as well as car – and of course cycle – parking.
- Specialist production-plant knowledge The company’s bicycle production line demands highly skilled precision-engineering and craftsmanship, from lacing the spokes of the wheels, to spray-painting, attaching the decals and screwing together the components in the final assembly. We designed the facility jointly with Derby Cycle, drawing on our specialist knowledge of production plants and paint shops. Verdion’s CTO has experience in building many manufacturing plants for the car industry, including paint shop technology, and his input was invaluable in designing the production flow through the building.
- Designing for customer experience Another highlight within the facility will be the new Kalkhoff brand world, where Derby Cycle will showcase new models from Germany's leading e-bike brand at the factory, alongside displays telling the story of the brand. Customers will be able to get advice from Derby Cycle’s experts and take bikes for a trial spin on a dedicated on-site test track. On completion of the building, our asset management team will continue to work with Derby Cycle to make sure the facility delivers outstanding performance for many years to come. André Banschus, Executive Director of Verdion, said: “Even before COVID-19, bicycle manufacturers were looking for more ways to respond to demand. The global sustainability movement has accelerated green city infrastructure projects and sales have significantly increased in recent years. “We’re pleased to be delivering a second project for Derby Cycle, not only demonstrating our development expertise in complex manufacturing, but working closely with our partners to put in place the funding and lease structures needed to help Derby Cycle exploit this opportunity for growth.”
Derby Cycle, Emstek
You may also be interested in
A 15,000 sq m facility at the Achalaich business park in Weilheim, Upper Bavaria.
Verdion ExpoPark, Hanover
A prime location on the edge of an established industrial estate south-east of Hanover city centre.